Wednesday, October 15, 2008

On Sharing Faith

So I did not end up writing yesterday because I was doing more productive things. Like going to Starbucks at River and Campbell with Colton to do our bible study. In our nav study we're studying Jesus and what he said on different topics. This week was Jesus on faith sharing. We did the first section which took 5 different stories and said to look at what Jesus said and did. They were Nicodemus, Zaccheus, The Woman at the well, in the pharisee's house, and the lawyer. It was good time really. One of the really challenging yet encouraging parts was Luke 4:38. Its right toward the end of the Jesus' encounter with the woman at the well. He's talking to the disciples and he says, "I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor." I read this and saw it two ways. The first is that we can not obviously, take any credit for someone who believes after we talk to them. The second is that we cannot be discouraged just because we don't personally see the results. We may be the second part of twenty people that influence a person on a path to Jesus. We may help plant the seed that someone else will water and someone entirely different will harvest. (For more on this analogy see 1 Corinthians 3:1-9) So its challenging because we may never see the results of our labor here on earth but encouraging because we may see the results when we are presented before God.

So keep on working. Keep on sharing. Keep on discipling because God is there with you.

1 comment:

Mamita Betsy said...

thanks for the thoughts and insights. I'm thankful for all of the people God has used and continues to use to help me grow closer to Him! And it's exciting to think He can use me to help someone else, too. I remember one time I wrote an encouragement note to this girl in my speech class and she later told me it came to her in a critical time. That was really humbling to think that God brought her to mind and prompted me to write the note. It makes me sad to think there are probably lots of times I have been inattentive to the Holy Spirit.